Friday, April 25, 2008

Being a Grownup

Because we are grownups, my husband and I really try not to argue about who is working harder and enduring more deprivation on account of the baby – we both understand that that’s an immature, unproductive, and ungenerous way to think about our lives. I know, though, that each of us is silently, guiltily stockpiling lethal arguments in our own favor. (At least I know that that’s what I do, and I assume that he does too, unless he is a much less petty person than I, which, come to think of it, is entirely possible.) However, all of these arguments will be rendered outdated and useless next Thursday, when I return to work and he goes on leave to stay home with the baby. We will then each have to discard all of our old arguments and begin building new ones.

No comments: